- Like a crisp, dark winter sky, Iolite, in shifting shades of violet-blue carries the spirit of journey, of dreams and intuition, of exploration and illumination. It is known as the Vikings’ Compass, and provides the vision to move us, physically and spiritually, from one realm to the next.
- A property called pleochroism is very pronounced in Iolite, producing different colors when the stone is seen through different positions. Overall, Iolite appears as violet-blue or indigo, but in different positions may shift to a yellow-gray or honey color, and even to a clear light blue. It is also referred to as “Water Sapphire” or Dichroite. Iolite’s name comes from the Greek ios, meaning violet, and is the gem version of the mineral Cordierite.
USES AND PURPOSES:
- Iolite helps in recovering balance, and is recommended for those suffering from disorientation, lack of motivation, chronic disorganization, and distraction.It strengthens the resolve to take on responsibility and carry through, and provides self-assurance and endurance in adverse situations.
- It is an excellent source of energy when used for the elimination of debt and the responsible management of money. Iolite is a stone of the muses, activating the visionary, creative side of the mind, and accessing thoughts and ideas beyond the ordinary. It inspires creative self-expression through writing, song, movement and other artistic endeavors.
- Iolite may also link with, or stimulate, the Crown Chakra, located at the top of the head. It is our gateway to the expanded universe beyond our bodies, and controls how we think and how we respond to the world around us. It is the fountainhead of our beliefs and the source of our spirituality.